Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Add to your site!
Review www.sampletrain.com on alexa.com

How much is sales tax where you live???

+9
jersma
SVaughn21
germany offer
KORFIZZLE
Kathleen
flameworker
wandadh
hissprout
i_love_the_ocean
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How much is sales tax where you live??? Empty How much is sales tax where you live???

Post by Guest Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Seeing the differences in the cost of a Sunday paper made me wonder how different the sales tax is all over. How much is it by you?

I'm in WI (Green Bay area). We pay 5.5% on non-food items.

Last edited by Jill on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : specified non-food items)

Back to top Go down

How much is sales tax where you live??? Empty Re: How much is sales tax where you live???

Post by i_love_the_ocean Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm

if im not mistaken its 7.75% plus 2% NC sales tax, just looked into my Harris Teeter receipt. am i correct Wanda?
i_love_the_ocean
i_love_the_ocean

Back to top Go down

How much is sales tax where you live??? Empty Re: How much is sales tax where you live???

Post by hissprout Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 pm

We pay 6% on everything but food

Around Detroit (thankfully not in Detroit)
hissprout
hissprout
Sample Savvy

Back to top Go down

Post by wandadh Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Ocean...you are correct. NC non-food sales tax is 7.75% in most counties, there are some counties (I think 12) that the non-food tax is 8%. I live in one of the 8% counties, I looked it up in the past to why it is more in some counties and it is some .25% transportation tax. All of NC is 2% tax on food items.
wandadh
wandadh

Back to top Go down

Post by i_love_the_ocean Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Cool
i_love_the_ocean
i_love_the_ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by flameworker Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm

9.25% sales tax I just round up to 10% when I shop I figure it's close enough.......sheesh How much is sales tax where you live??? 815535 When I get 10% off coupons it's just like I'm not paying tax and that's it. Gotta have at least 20% off coupons to make it worthy How much is sales tax where you live??? 719413
flameworker
flameworker

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Here in PA it is 6% tax on nonfood items. There is no tax on clothing. Wow...coming from NYC it is a big difference for me. I love not paying tax on clothes.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Freebie Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by KORFIZZLE Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Oregon= No Sales Tax How much is sales tax where you live??? 299706

We are taxed on Water and Soda Bottle's 5 cents, but we can return them for the funding back.......
KORFIZZLE
KORFIZZLE
Freebie Scavenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Korfizzle...that is great!

We don't have the deposit here on bottles and cans.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Freebie Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by germany offer Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Wow - I thought NV was the only state with no sales tax.

L.A. = 9.75% Temporary (yea, right) to help fund the cross-state high-speed train to visit Laura & Flame. Could have been worse - supposed to be 10% now.

germany offer
Freebie Scavenger

Back to top Go down

Post by KORFIZZLE Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:19 pm

When I shop at the grocery store I pay exactly what the price says on the shelf.... this makes it go great when I have coupons off and doublers Smile
KORFIZZLE
KORFIZZLE
Freebie Scavenger

Back to top Go down

Post by KORFIZZLE Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 pm

No tax on clothing or gas.... people find this weird, but you CANNOT pump your own gas in Oregon....
KORFIZZLE
KORFIZZLE
Freebie Scavenger

Back to top Go down

Post by SVaughn21 Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 am

No tax on food, but 8.25% on non food items I think.

SVaughn21
Sample Savvy

Back to top Go down

Post by jersma Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:10 am

8.75% on everything cept food items and we do have fee for items that can be recycled (soda, beer, water, gatorade etc)
jersma
jersma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Wow, I'm considering myself fortunate at the 5.5% seeing how much the rest of you are paying. Except for Kor of course. I can't believe there's no sales tax by you. That's great!

Kor....do you know the reason you can't pump your own gas? My husband went to New Jersey 2 years ago and it was the same thing there. He told my the reason but neither one of us remember why. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by flameworker Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:32 pm

I was told it's because it is something that give the people work. If you pump your own gas then you're taking away their job. Am I right about that Korfizzle?
flameworker
flameworker

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:44 pm

i got yelled at when we went to OR to visit sister!! I got out and started to grap the nozzle and someone ran up to me and said ma'am you can not pump your own gas, it is against law! lol i was like OH oops, well fire away!!!
Laura
Laura
OWNER

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:46 pm

dont forget jersma we have that tv tax too now! If you buy a tv you pay i think its like $100 or around there then you have to pay to take to the dump if it goes ka-put!
Laura
Laura
OWNER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:14 am

Dang, we don't have the extra tax like that on tv's etc. We do pay big time to take something to the dump like that though. There are a lot of people thru freecycle etc. that will take that stuff and part it out, thank goodness.

Pumping gas.....I wish we still had gas stations that pumped your gas for you. There are times that I would gladly pay a little extra to have someone pump my gas.

I have seen gas stations in some bigger cities in WI that require you to first pay for your gas before you pump. I'm told it's because of theft....higher crime areas.

Back to top Go down

Post by SVaughn21 Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:03 am

It's like that here in Dallas, Jill. You have to pay first. My arguement is I don't know how much my car is going to take so how can I pay first. Then I found a place where you use a "speed pass" where they enter your license info into their computer and you get a little card you can scan before you pump. Of course, they wouldn't let me have one because my license is from Alabama and their system only takes TX lol. Ugh. With my luck, if I pay first (give them $30) the store will be robbed and I will be out of luck. LOL

SVaughn21
Sample Savvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:31 am

We have to pay first here in PA also. Too many drive offs. The only time I wish someone would pump for me is when it is freezing, sleeting, snowing or raining out. My hands freeze pumping gas. I am so used to it by now.

I just have to remember which side of the pump to drive up to. I hate it when I drive up to the pump only to find out that the gas tank is on the other side.....lol
Kathleen
Kathleen
Freebie Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:33 am

Sometimes when I pay by cash and go into the store to pay, I sometimes forget which pump number I am at. How much is sales tax where you live??? 213660
Kathleen
Kathleen
Freebie Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by hissprout Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 am

Kathleen wrote:Sometimes when I pay by cash and go into the store to pay, I sometimes forget which pump number I am at. How much is sales tax where you live??? 213660

I do that ALL the time!! I also forget which side my gas tank is on, and it's usually when the weather is BAD and/or the kids are just as bad. lol I wouldn't mind having somebody pumping my gas in the winter. Now, that would be fantastic! Smile
hissprout
hissprout
Sample Savvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:19 pm

Oh, I'm guilty of pulling up on the wrong side as well. My excuse used to be because each of our cars had it on a different side but now both vehicles have on the same side so I can't use that excuse anymore. lol

That must be pain paying ahead of time. I like to fill it up to the top and you don't know how much that would come to.

Kathleen....my hubby is from PA. How much is sales tax where you live??? 561787 Paying ahead must be a location thing there because where he's from he didn't have to pay ahead. I do remember having to pay ahead in Ohio when we made a trip to PA. It was a really bad area, hubby told me roll up the windows, don't look at anyone and lock the doors. Not a good feeling.

Back to top Go down

Post by hissprout Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Jill wrote:Oh, I'm guilty of pulling up on the wrong side as well. My excuse used to be because each of our cars had it on a different side but now both vehicles have on the same side so I can't use that excuse anymore. lol

That must be pain paying ahead of time. I like to fill it up to the top and you don't know how much that would come to.

Kathleen....my hubby is from PA. How much is sales tax where you live??? 561787 Paying ahead must be a location thing there because where he's from he didn't have to pay ahead. I do remember having to pay ahead in Ohio when we made a trip to PA. It was a really bad area, hubby told me roll up the windows, don't look at anyone and lock the doors. Not a good feeling.

I know all kinds of places like that Jill. A lot of them here, I NEVER stop. We have to pay first as well, because of people stealing gas. My mom is the manager of a gas station, and she sees this WAY too often!
hissprout
hissprout
Sample Savvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next